Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Of Helen Marnie and why we love her so much

I have this mutual crush with Helen Marnie of Ladytron since I've first listened to their album "604" (2001) for her blended sweet and icy dark look - a perfect balance! Well it goes with her frosty voice too. And, her makeup has never really changed from the first I knew her up to this day. I've always been checking out her hair-do and attempted to have mine cut like hers whenever I have my irregular visit to the hair salons. Normally it does at first but it automatically alters itself after I washed my hair leaving only resembling fringes. There is something with her style that truly attracts me.

Now, lets have a preview of some shots of hers that I took it off their videos (source coming from http://ladytron.nettwerk.com/video) in chronological order.

604 - Playgirl (2001)

Photobucket


Light & Magic - Seventeen (2002)

Photobucket


Light & Magic - Blue Jeans(2002)

Photobucket


Light & Magic - Evil(2003)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Witching Hour - Sugar (2005)

Photobucket

Photobucket


Witching Hour - Destroy Everything You Touch (2005)

Photobucket


Velocifero - Ghosts (2008)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


From posted shots above, it is evident that her style association revolves around black, neatness, modesty and simplicity. I include black as a style adjective for its symbolic and subjective meanings. It could also mean a whole lot of things.

Citing a source from egodevelopment.com:

Black: The color of darkness is undoubtedly the most popular color in fashion. A man wearing black suggests elegance, authority and power. When worn properly, black clothing also conveys neatness, simplicity and great versatility.

OK, maybe I should just state black. Hahaha! God, I must refrain myself from writing articles in the blog like writing a thesis! Anyways, Helen Marnie indirectly demonstrates all those traits mentioned above. Also, check out her expression in every video which I find very authoritative and powerful in contrast of her title as the disco queen. Another point worth noting is her style consistency in different clothings and the way she carries herself in those clips.

Black, neatness and simplicity is just a combo example. I am sure Helen fancies wearing vibrant colours off-screen too. Generally, every girl has her own preference; but I personally think it is simplicity that truly outstands one's personality as it is herself that she carries, not the clothings outdoing her real appearance. We don't necessarily need expensive elaborate clothings to look good. The essence of wearing a garment is enhanced by having a modest personal style. And to be stylish is to wear your own personal style with confidence, like Helen Marnie! :D

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you look anything like Helen Marnie, I REALLY want to meet you.